Nav Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Journal #5 - Twitter

My account was created with Twitter when it was first launched in 2006. I think I have used it 5 times a year since then, for a few reasons. Twitter and my activity on it, is my only publicly viewable social media account. I do this because Twitter's ability to interact and provide data with the rest of the internet (the APIs they use). The catch is you must have a public profile in order for the data to be used by others. For example, a lot of researchers are using Twitter to run experiments on social behavior, collective conscience ("the hive mind"), and human interactions in the digital world. Researchers, news organizations and others will use the API's Twitter provides to analyze and sift through Tweets, location data, trending topics, and other information; so I leave my profile open to the public so I can contribute to the community, though I tend to post political or social issues that matter to me. Unlike Facebook, Twitter will allow me to keep my profile public, but limit almost nearly all other information, like name, friends, location and workplace.

The other reason I use Twitter is to follow celebrities from my favorite television shows and professional athletes. Mostly because they are amusing and post ridiculous pictures. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear (UK) is constant entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a good point Twitter does not require you to add your name, work place and so on. I do enjoy that ability. I also use Twitter to follow my favorite musicians and actors. I love to see pictures and small videos they post.

    ReplyDelete